Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: Wireless line-up; BST; Unplugged at JW3
02 March, 2017 — By Róisín Gadelrab
Chance the Rapper
SO Wireless has revealed the promising line-up for this year’s festival, which takes place over the weekend of July 7-9. Sean Paul, Chance the Rapper, Skepta, Nas, Wiley and The Weeknd are among the confirmed acts. There’s plenty more information on the website, including a tab dedicated to Finsbury Park residents, with a contact email for any questions or concerns and information about noise. The Staying Green tab includes measures to help preserve the park, including financial incentives for returning plastic cups and bottles (10p per item) – if you’re clever, this could well pay for your day. The line-up, as we know it so far, includes Abra Cadabra, Big Narstie, Flatbush Zombies, Mike Skinner and Murkage Present TONGA, MoStack, Rae Sremmurd, Section Boyz, Ty Dolla $ign, Tyga, Young Thug and many more.
• DON’T forget that at the same time, over in Hyde Park, the annual British Summer Time Festival will be winding up with The Killers on July 8 and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers on July 9.
• MONTREAL singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Leif Vollebekk plays Islington Assembly Hall on Saturday (March 4). New album Twin Solitude was released last week.
• THERE’S a big Reboot Unplugged Music event at London Jewish Community Centre JW3 on Finchley Road on March 5, where visitors will be encouraged to celebrate a National Day of Unplugging (there must be a more catchy title than this) by leaving mobiles at the door, slouching on bean bags, detaching from Facebook, and connecting with the people around them – if brave enough. The line-up includes Starsailor frontman James Walsh, Swedish-Iranian R&B artist Ayelle and folk-pop singer/songwriter Joe Jury.
• STARVED of new music to get you through the rest of the year? Here’’s something that may just provide the inspiration: The Old Blue Last has announced a takeover of Hackney’s Sebright Arms with a series of intimate gigs throughout this month, launching on March 6. There will be appearances from Circa Waves, Nilüfer Yanya, Elf Kid, Bloody Knees, Birdskulls, Broadbay, Spring King, Ukrika Spacek, Gengahr, Traams, Dead Pretfies, Lice and Hotel Lux, with special headliners yet to be announced.
• MANCHESTER’S ferocious folk foursome, 4SQUARE, play The Harrison in King’s Cross on March 8.
• DUBLIN punk-rockers Otherkin play The Lock Tavern on March 8 – free entry. Other notable gigs this week: Vant, Electric Ballroom; July Talk, The Dome; Highly Suspect, Koko (March 9).