Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: Tom Hingley; Punk 4 Mental Health; Soulwax
14 December, 2017 — By Róisín Gadelrab
• ECCENTRIC songwriter and former Inspiral Carpets frontman Tom Hingley (above) launches his new live album and DVD, May Contain Nuts, at The Islington tomorrow (Friday), alongside his band The Kar-Pets, a tribute band to the Inspirals – go figure.
• Spiritland are teaming up with Martin Green and Andrew Rutland for their first Supper Club, Joan’s Club, on Saturday (Dec 16). Expect swinging sounds, killer cocktails, delicious food, immaculate attire and louche behaviour. The grandson of Odin’s Bistro chef Owen Kenworthy will be in the kitchen, Julian Hand, nephew of the UFO’s lighting technician Jack Bracelin will provide lighting and projections, there will be complimentary shisha on the outside terrace after dinner and music will be supplied all night by 1960s music curator Martin Green.
• Birmingham future soul singer Jacob Banks (above) turned up to Camden Guitars this week where he signed and sold them his acoustic Gibson guitar. Banks isn’t the first musician to offload their trusty instruments at the shop/venue. You never quite know whose guitar you might pick up.
• Crawdaddy’s Christmas Party takes place tomorrow (Friday) with guest DJ and veteran of the mod and soul scene Alan Handscombe-McGrath joining Gary, Lucienne and Danny to play the finest northern soul, mod, Motown, vintage R&B, Two Tone, ska and rocksteady, all on vinyl, at The Fiddler’s Elbow.
• Two big-room house acts descend on Egg tomorrow (Friday). Emerging out of the same Parisian scene as Daft Punk, Cassius – aka Philippe Zdar and Boom Bass – has remixed headline acts from Björk to Depeche Mode, while producer and DJ Alex Metric has mixed huge electro club smashes such as the Alexander O’Neal sampling Rave Weapon.
• The Dublin Castle hosts a Punk 4 Mental Health Fundraiser on Saturday featuring Sick On The Bus, Punk Professor, Damidge, Tara Rez, Jason And The Argonauts, Italia 90 and Spizz plus DJs and poets from 5pm.
• Camden Assembly’s Dub Club Freestyle sessions begin on Dec 20 with special guest musicians Ashley Slater, collaborating in a freestyle swing and dub session, Philip Achille on harmonica, Paul Bradshaw and DJ Orphy Robinson.
• Adam Ant’s final 2017 performance takes place at The Roundhouse on December 21 with support from all-female Hollywood glitter-rockers Glam Skanks.
• Eighties band Imagination perform at 229 tomorrow (Friday) with lead singer Leee John, to celebrate their 35th anniversary.
• Soulwax (above) begin their December tour at The Roundhouse tomorrow (Friday), bringing their renowned live show with specially designed set and seven touring members with them, including original band member Stefaan Van Leuven on bass guitar and synth; three drummers – Victoria Smith (Jamie T), Iggor Cavalera (Sepultura, MIXHELL) and Blake Davies (Turbowolf) – and Laima Leyton (MIXHELL) on synth and backing vocals.
• Notable gigs this week: The Spitfires, Borderline; Wooden Arms + Laucan, Lexington; Bad Manners, 100 Club (Dec 16); Idlewild, Koko (Dec 17); Dinosaur Jr, Roundhouse (Dec 18); Janet Kay and Carroll Thompson, Jazz Cafe (Dec 21); The Prodigy, Brixton Academy (Dec 21-23).