Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: BST Hyde Park; Leftfield at Kenwood; Fairport Convention
10 May, 2018 — By Róisín Gadelrab
BST Hyde Park have confirmed this year’s Open House week of free events will take place between July 9 and 12 with a new open-air cinema, street food, aerial circus, gardening masterclasses, Wimbledon screenings and hip-hop and Bogan Bingo. Not a bad way to spend a warm summer evening. And more special guests have been announced for Hyde Park’s BST concerts in July. Catherine McGrath, The Adelaides, Megan McKenna, Rob Green, Gypsyfingers, and The Tailormade support Michael Bublé on July 13; DNCE, Charlie Wilson, Trombone Shorty, Yungen, Tom Walker, Sofi Tukker, Liv Dawson, Alex Hepburn and DJ Rashida join Bruno Mars on July 14; and Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit, Tom Chaplin, Ward Thomas, Shawn Colvin, Callaghan, Night Flight, Sarah Darling, Jesca Hoop and Blueprint Blue join Paul Simon on July 15.
• Leftfield have been announced as special guest DJ for Hacienda Classical at Kenwood, curated by Graeme Park and Mike Pickering with an Orbital DJ set and Manchester Camerata Orchestra on June 15.
• Fairport Convention play the Union Chapel tomorrow (Friday).
• Music journalist and author of Spice Girls biography Wannabe, David Sinclair, brings his band David Sinclair Four to The Social tomorrow (Friday) to mark the release of new album Sweet Georgina.
• Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Friday) for Adam Ant’s December 19 return to the Roundhouse.
• Don’t forget about Frank Turner Lost Evenings II, taking place at the Roundhouse between May 11-14. Turner’s self-curated mini-festival brings together a selection of hand-picked acts including The Subways, Ginger WIldreat and Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly. as he plays a series of headline gigs.
• Canadian rock quintet Arkells (above) sell out football stadiums in their home country. Here, they headline Dingwalls on May 12.
• BBC Radio 2 Young Folk Award winners, Josie Duncan and Pablo Lafuente (above), play The Slaughtered Lamb in Clerkenwell on May 13.
• Nashville-based husband and wife-led folk Americana band Birds of Chicago play the Lexington on May 14.
• Psychedelic trio DeWolff (above) play The Black Heart on May 15.
• Singer Sunny Ozell, who can often count her husband, actor Patrick Stewart, amongst her audience, plays 100 Club on May 17.
• Notable gigs this week: The Elephant Sessions (above), Thousand Island (May 14); John Scofield, Union Chapel; Sean McGowan, The Monarch; Hannah Sanders + Ben Savage, Heath Street Baptist Church (May 15); Peace, The Forum; Haley Fohr, Barbican; Kier, The Camden Assembly (May 16); Cut Chemist, Scala; The Magic Numbers, ULU; The BellRays, The Camden Assembly; SOHN, Roundhouse (May 17); Gary Barlow Palladium (May 17-19).