The independent London newspaper

Man is kicked in head after party at Town Hall centre

10 November, 2016 — By William McLennan

Police were called to the Camden Centre in October after a dancehall rave

POLICE are investigating after a late-night rave at the Town Hall ended in violence.

One man was hospitalised with “facial injuries” after being kicked in the head during fighting outside the event at the council-run Camden Centre in Judd Street. The council are the registered licence holders of the 900-capacity venue, which is regularly rented out to event promoters.

Police were called to deal with a crowd that had spilled outside, closing part of Euston Road shortly after 4am on October 2. The event was billed as the “official after-party” of Nigerian dancehall star Burna Boy. He had held his “UK homecoming concert” at a west London venue earlier in the evening, where he took to the stage in the back of a police van wearing an orange jumpsuit.

Police are looking at the management of the Camden event, with concerns about the how the large queues were dealt with by security staff. Violent disorder linked to a club or bar often results in police asking the council to review the terms of a venue’s licence in a public hearing – in this instance that would result in the council reviewing its own licence.

It is understood that the council agreed at the first opportunity to make changes, avoiding the need for a public review.

A spokesman for Camden Council said: “The incident that occurred was not inside the Camden Centre and happened after the event had finished. “We have a strong track record of hosting enjoyable, popular and trouble-free events at the Camden Centre and are keen to avoid such an incident occurring again involving people who have visited our venue. We work closely with local police and are discussing this incident with them and what additional measures we can put in place for future events.”

Scotland Yard said they were called to Judd Street at 4.10am after “reports of an assault”. A spokesman said: “Officers and London Ambulance Service attended and found a man in his twenties suffering from facial injuries. “He was taken to a central London hospital for treatment and has since been discharged. No arrests have been made. Enquiries are ongoing.”

The event organisers did not respond to requests for comment.

Share this story

Post a comment