Hot water and cookers shut off at Chalcots tower after gas leak
Residents of Dorney have not been told when the gas supply will be reinstated
11 August, 2017 — By William McLennan
GAS supply has been turned off at one of the Chalcots estate towers following a leak in the early hours of this morning.
Residents of 23-storey Dorney in Adelaide Road were told this morning that a leak overnight had led the gas to be shut off while repairs take place.
They will not be able to use their gas cooker, heating or hot water until an engineer has fixed the problem.
It has caused further disruption to the hundreds of people living in the tower, who were evacuated for four weeks at the end of June and face months of building works as fire safety flaws are corrected and flammable cladding is removed.
A letter to residents, from contractors GEM, stated: “Engineers are on site and have had to isolate the gas in order for safe reinstatement once works are completed.
“Once the lake has been repaired we will then need to revisit each property to purge the gas paperwork and reinstate each property in a safe manner.”
“We apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused to you and your family and we will aim to reinstate cooking facilities and both the heating and hot water supply with the minimum of delay.”
Conservative ward councillor Leila Roy, who inspected the estate alongside Cllr Caire-Louise Leyland today, said: “The reason why they don’t have their gas back yet is that they have to go floor by floor to check there is no air in the system, so it’s going to take a bit of time, but they are aiming to have gas for the weekend.
“If people contact the CNJ totally outraged and saying this is totally unacceptable, it is for their own safety.”
Camden Council have yet to respond to requests to comment.