Firefighters tackle major blaze in Prince of Wales Road
Police treating blaze as 'suspicious' and neighbours said the same home had been set on fire before
27 March, 2017 — By William McLennan
FIREFIGHTERS are tackling a major blaze at a terraced house in Kentish Town this evening (Monday).
The fire ripped through a house in Prince of Wales Road with emergency services called at around 7:30 pm. It is believed to be the second time in recent months that a fire has taken hold at the address.
At its height, flames burst through the windows of the house and the roof was also alight.
A Met police spokesman said it is is “believed to be a derelict building,” adding: “The fire is being treated as suspicious at this stage, pending further enquiries.”
Solicitor Matt Hunt, who was on his way home from work, said the same house had burnt down before. “As far as I’m aware it was about two months ago,” he said. “The windows were gone and it was blackened. I walk past it on my way to work every day and there’s never anything in there.”
He added: “If I wanted to set fire to a house I would go for the one that didn’t have any locks on the doors or any windows.”
There have been no reports of causalities, police said.
Police and fire investigators were at the scene on Tuesday morning, but it is believed the building has yet to be cleared safe for them to access. The severe damage to the building was evident, with the roof almost entirely destroyed.
The scene on Tuesday morning
Simon Happily, who captured the scene on camera, said the fire would lead to fresh questions about the closure of nearby Belsize fire station in cuts approved by former mayor Boris Johnson.
Pic: Simon Happily
LFB station manager Lee Walker said: “When I arrived on the scene there were flames coming out of the first and second floor windows of the property, the roof was also well alight. Crews are working hard to extinguish the fire. Motorists are advised to avoid the area as Prince of Wales Road is closed to traffic.”