Extra police on streets and at ‘high profile premises’ after Westminster attack
Additional officers tasked with visiting the many “high profile premises" in Camden
22 March, 2017 — By William McLennan
Officers outside Camden Town underground station this evening
POLICE are on the streets carrying out “reassurance patrols” in neighbourhoods across the borough tonight in response to a suspected terror attack in Westminster this afternoon.
Additional officers have been deployed across London and local officers in Camden have been tasked with visiting the many “high profile premises”, police said.
At least four people died in the attack, including 48-year-old police officer PC Keith Palmer. It is believed a car was driven into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge before a suspect stabbed several police officers as they attempted to enter the Palace of Westminster. A suspect was shot and killed by police.
Officers were standing guard at train stations and tourist attractions in Camden this evening.
PC Keith Palmer was killed in the attack
The Houses of Parliament were put in an immediate state of “lock down” and MPs moved to safety by security staff.
Hampstead and Kilburn MP, Tulip Siddiq, said she is “locked inside safe room in Parliament” along with Holborn and St Pancras MP Keir Starmer.
Mr Starmer tweeted: “All thoughts are with the victims & families of the terrible attack here at parliament.”
Borough commander Catherine Roper said: “I have been in touch with my partners and community contacts across both Camden and Islington. I have asked for all our communities to remain calm and vigilant – and to contact us if they have any concerns.
“Additional police officers are conducting reassurance patrols across Camden and Islington.”
Luke and I are assisting with the security after the events of this afternoon. 15th hour of the shift! Long night & sad day for us all. pic.twitter.com/U8hEliGdKX
— PC Sam Sharpley (@MPSCamandPrim) March 22, 2017
Police said they began to receive emergency calls at around 2:40pm to various reports including a “person in the river, a car in collision with pedestrians and a man armed with a knife”.
Assistant Commissioner Mark Rowley, the most senior counter-terrorism officer in the country, said tonight: “I will not comment at this stage on the identity of the attacker but our working assumption is that he was inspired by international terrorism.”
He added: “We must recognise now that our Muslim communities will feel anxious at this time, given the past behaviour of extreme right-wing groups and we will work with all community leaders in the coming days.”
Earlier in the evening he had described what was known about the day’s events and said: “The attack started when a car was driven over Westminster Bridge, hitting and injuring a number of members of the public and three police officers who were on their way back from a commendation ceremony.
“The car then crashed near to Parliament and at least one man – armed with a knife – continued the attack, trying to enter Parliament.
“Sadly – I can now confirm that four people have died. That includes a policeman who was protecting Parliament from the attack and one man we believe to be the attacker who was shot by a police firearms officer.
“The officer’s family have been made aware. At least 20 people have been injured.”
He added: “We have an ongoing operation – and whilst we currently believe there was only one attacker – I am sure the public will understand us taking every precaution in locking down and searching the area as thoroughly as possible.”