The independent London newspaper

England star: ‘Moment I knew my World Cup dream was over’

Arsenal ace reveals heartbreak over injury that has ruled her out of this summer’s showpiece tournament

15 February, 2019 — By Steve Barnett

Jordan Nobbs recovering in hospital after rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament in November. PHOTO: @JORDANNOBBS8

ENGLAND and Arsenal midfielder Jordan Nobbs has revealed how she heard her knee “pop” – and knew her hopes of playing in the World Cup were over.

The 26-year-old was ruled out of this summer’s showpiece tournament in France after rupturing an anterior cruciate ligament during the Gunners 4-0 win over Everton in November.

At one stage there was a glimmer of hope that she could still recover in time, but when faced with the fear of spending years on the sidelines the choice became clear.

“I had the carrot dangled in front of me to say: ‘You’ve got six months. It is possible to come back’,” recalled Nobbs.

The midfielder in action for Arsenal

“Hearing the surgeon then say ‘this is a nine-month injury, you’re putting yourself at such a high risk coming into a major tournament of doing it again, re-rupturing and being out for maybe two years’… it’s the hardest decision to ever make.”

In an interview with BBC Sport, Nobbs, who has been capped 56 times by England, said she knew instantly that he had suffered “a big” injury.

“I went to press the ball and I felt like it bounced a bit funny, and as I went to turn… I replay it in my head where my foot just didn’t come with me, so obviously my knee has taken the hit. I knew straight away.

“I heard it pop. Probably, if I hadn’t heard it pop, I wouldn’t have been in as much shock or scared of what happened.

“As soon as I heard that, it was weird. It was like everything stopped for two seconds and then my knee started to tingle. I knew then that it was a big issue.”

Title boost as Chelsea draw with leaders City

ARSENAL’S hopes of winning the Women’s Super League were handed a massive boost on Sunday – without them having to kick a ball.

That’s because reigning champions Chelsea, bossed by Camden coach Emma Hayes, came from behind to draw with leaders Manchester City at the Academy Stadium.

It looked like City were well on their way to a routine win when goals from Tessa Wullaert and Georgia Stanway saw them race into a 2-0 lead within 25 minutes. But Ji So-yun gave the Blues a glimmer of hope when she scored from close range five minutes into the second half. With just seconds left on the clock the South Korean midfielder then struck her second courtesy of a deflected free-kick as the titanic tussle finished all-square at 2-2.

The result leaves Manchester City two points clear of Arsenal at the top of the table, but crucially the north Londoners have two games in hand.

For now, however, Joe Montemurro’s side will have one eye on revenge as they prepare to tackle Chelsea this Sunday in the fifth round of the Women’s FA Cup at Kingsmeadow Stadium.

The Blues beat their London rivals 3-1 in last season’s final in front of a competition-record crowd of 45,423 at Wembley.

Share this story

Post a comment