CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Descendants of Samuel Taylor Coleridge visit church where his coffin was found

Romantic poet's last resting place was discovered in bricked up crypt

08 June, 2018 — By Dan Carrier

Kunle Ayodejal, vicar of St Michael’s, on group selfie duty

MORE than 40 descendants of the Romantic poet Samuel Taylor Coleridge gathered in Highgate on Saturday to celebrate his life.

Coffins containing the bodies of Coleridge, his wife Sara and other relatives were recently discovered in a bricked-up wine cellar in the foundations of St Michael’s Church on South Grove in Highgate village. The remains were moved there in 1961, having lain in the graveyard of the chapel of Highgate School.

Now the church hope to build a visitors’ centre and a more fitting resting place for the author of such works as The Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Kubla Khan. Coleridge lived in Highgate up to his death in 1834 and has long been associated with the area.

The conference included a keynote speech from Coleridge expert Malcolm Guite, chaplain at Girton College, Cambridge, who has recently written a biography of the poet.

The Coleridge family

Church steward Drew Clode, who organised the day’s events, said: “There were at least 200 people there – it was amazing. The next step is for us to find a well known and capable architect who can draw up some plans to get the crypt open – and then work out how much we need to fundraise.”

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,