The independent London newspaper

Stricken man who medics fought to revive dies in hospital after ‘heart attack’

Driver stopped his car and shouted for help before collapsing on the pavement

25 March, 2017 — By William McLennan

Police said his death was “not believed to be suspicious”

A MAN who police spent an hour attempting to resuscitate on the pavement has died in hospital.

It is believed the man fell ill while driving through Kentish Town and witnesses said he pulled over in a silver Mercedes in Camden Street and lent on his car’s horn, calling for help, before collapsing on the pavement.

Police said the death of the man, who was in his thirties, is being treated as “unexplained, but is not believed to be suspicious”. They said he was believed to have suffered a heart attack.

One witness, whose home overlooks the junction next to Camden Gardens, said: “He was going crazy on the car horn. I thought at first there must have been some kind of car crash – there are a lot at the in junction and we hear things all the time.”

“There was a man standing by the railings of the park and he was throwing up. He was calling out for some one to call the police. Call an ambulance, he was shouting help, help. He then collapsed and went completely limp.”

Police and medics spent an hour performing CPR and attempting resuscitate the man before he was taken to hospital by ambulance.

Kim Douse, who was on the scene at the junction of Camden Street and Kentish Town Road, praised the efforts of police officers who fought to save the man’s life.

“These people are wonderful,” she said.“They did an amazing job today performing CPR for so long, there’s no doubt about that. I was walking up and down and praying for him.”

A Met spokesman said they were called to reports of “a man collapsed” shortly after 1pm.

“The man, aged in his thirties, was suspected to be suffering from a believed cardiac arrest. He was taken by LAS to a north London hospital where he later died.

“His next of kin have been informed. This incident is currently being treated as unexplained, but is not believed to be suspicious. Enquiries continue.”

Share this story

Post a comment