CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Boy accused of gun murder was an ‘at risk’ child who went missing 40 times

08 September, 2017 — By William McLennan

Police at the scene of the shooting next to Nandos in Kilburn High Road

A 16-year-old accused of gunning down a man in the street was known to police as a “juvenile at risk” who had run away from home more than 40 times, a jury has heard.

The boy, who was 15 at the time of the killing and can not be named because of his age, was allegedly driven to Kilburn High Road from his Camden home by two adult accomplices, before firing at 21-year-old Yasir Beshira in front of stunned shoppers.

A police report read to the court, which described the teenager as a “juvenile at risk”, stated: “Regular MISPER [missing person] who returns safely virtually every time. Known to travel long distances while missing.”

Defence council Nicholas Corsellis QC said: “We know from the documentation that we have got [he] was someone who repeatedly ran away from home and was reported to be a missing person.”

He said he was first reported to police as missing in December 2013, when he was just 12 years old. Mr Corsellis said: “The number of reports concerning him being a missing person extends to in excess of 40, maybe even 100.”

The boy is on trial at the Old Bailey alongside Sammi Tesfazgi, 21, from West Hampstead, and Rilind Tahiri, 22, of Islington, who allegedly drove him to and from the killing in a stolen Range Rover on December 8 last year.

All three deny charges of murder.

The trial continues.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,