It’s back: Lauderdale House’s eight-week spring season of concert-style Jazz in the House
12 April, 2017 — By Sebastian Taylor
Playing Jazz in the House on April 27: Chris Laurence, double bass (pictured second from right) with Frank Ricotti, vibraphone, Martin France, drums, and John Paricelli, guitar
Weekly jazz is back at Lauderdale House next Thursday when acclaimed jazz singer/pianist Ian Shaw opens the eight-week Jazz in the House spring season week.
Running twice a year, spring and autumn, the concert-style Jazz at the House has been invigorating north London jazz enthusiasts for more than a decade. Bands and singers normally only seen at exclusive jazz clubs keep coming back to Lauderdale because of the appreciative audiences of jazz cognoscenti at the recital-style sessions. And they’re also enticed by the laid-back bonhomie of host Brian Blain, who’s been oranising the gigs since the series started.
Ian Shaw opens the season on April 20, and Carol Grimes is ‘In the House’ on May 18
This spring season highlights include:
• April 20, 8pm: Ian Shaw, one of the world’s finest male jazz singers, noted for his astonishing vocal technique.
• April 27, 8.30pm: Double-bassist Chris Laurence’s highly regarded quartet.
• May 4, 8.30pm: Australian jazz singer Karen Lane, now based in London, presents music of Nancy Wilson and Cannonball Adderley in her Lauderdale House debut. Performing with her are Martin Hathaway alto, Steve Fishwick trumpet, Graham Harvey piano, Simon Woolf bass and Matt Fishwick drums.
• May 11, 8.30pm: Vibrophone virtuoso Roger Beaujolais’ seriously inventive quartet.
• May 18, 8.30pm: Truly unique jazz singer Carol Grimes and her band of seasoned musicians including terrific trombonist Annie Whitehead.
• May 25, 8.30pm: Guitarist Alec Dankworth’s World Spirit band joined by singer daughter Emily Dankworth.
• June 1, 8.30pm: New Aggregation combo led by stunning multi-reedsmen Tony Kofi and Alan Barnes – hard swing, explosive chemistry promising to be fantastic jazz session.
• June 8, 8.30pm: Tenor saxophonist Ed Jones’ versatile quartet acclaimed for its “outstanding performances”.
• Jazz in the House, April 20-June 8, Lauderdale House, Waterlow Park, Highgate Hill, N6. Opening Ian Shaw gig £15/ cons £13/ students £7. Other gigs £12/ cons £10/ students £7. 020 8348 8716, www.lauderdalehouse.co.uk